Thursday, May 23, 2013

Soap, Soap, Soap

So I have hit the ground running. We are down to one bar left from the half pound batch I made a month or so ago. One unscented bar even went to my sister's daughter who is allergic to just about EVERYTHING to see if it would work for her. We weren't sure if the Lye would cause skin irritations. Since it takes a few weeks to cure, I decided to get on the next batch of two pounds of soap. Here is my review of the last batch.



Orange and Peppermint, Olive and Coconut Oil Soap
Recipe: 3.04 oz rain water, 1.12 oz NaOH Lye, 6 oz Olive Oil, 2 oz Coconut Oil, .125 oz Orange Essential Oil, .125 oz Peppermint Essential Oil.

  • It made 8 oz of soap, caked into 3 little bars. 
  • It lasted a whole lot longer than I anticipated; I couldn't believe it. It even sat unprotected in the shower, which I assume wastes a lot of it. 
  • The girls can use it independently (as opposed to the no 'poo method.)
  • I made it with orange and peppermint essential oils. It smelled amazing. However once it cured, you could not smell the orange. It was just peppermint soap--which was fine with me.
  • It soaped and suds (?) up my hair perfectly. It worked really well in combination with the vinegar as conditioner. My ends feel a little healthier than with the no 'poo method, although I was happy with the no 'poo.
My new batch is with Olive, Coconut, Palm, and Castor oils. The scent is lavender and peppermint in a ratio of 3:1 since the peppermint is strong. I have a source for local goat milk, but I just need to ask for it and go get it. Too much going on for that right now and rain water soap works well enough for me--especially since it's spring!

Lavender and Peppermint, Olive, Coconut, Palm and Castor Oil Soap
Recipe: 12.16 oz rain water, 4.403 oz NaOH Lye, 21.12 oz Olive Oil, 5.76 oz Coconut Oil, 4.48 oz Palm Oil, .64 oz Castor Oil, .25 oz Peppermint Essential Oil, .75 oz Lavender Essential Oil.

Experience making it this round: The stick blender had it "traced" around the 15 minute mark. It's a lot longer than other people's experience, but it is a heck of a lot better than the hour and 25 minutes (or whatever it was) last time. I did better at getting the oils and the lye to the right temperature at the same time. I think my oils were at 126* and the lye was at 121* instead of both being at 122*. Good enough for me. This silicone mould was incredibly handy and held the two pounds of soap perfectly. 

No comments: