Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Why Not Just ?

I was talking to my best friend the other day about this whole topic of this Tiny House. I told her that one of the reasons I am most afraid to tell people just yet about our idea is because I don't want people to give a million suggestions as if we haven't already thought through things. We haven't.



I'm still thinking about this. At this point, granted, we haven't thought through everything. We have nothing but a tiny spark. Sometimes when a dream is being bottle-fed it's pretty easy to kill it with too much attention. It needs to pick up momentum all on it's own. I don't want to give it extra momentum because my pride is keeping it going. If it's going to die, it should die all on it's own. If it's going to thrive, it should grow and develop in a natural progression so that it's roots are deep and can sustain itself.

There is something so specific that I am dreading to hear from people; why don't you just put a trailer on your property? I started to talk through all these things with my friend, not because she asked, mind you, but because I brought it up. She just looked at me and said, "You don't have to justify your dream to anyone. Saying, 'Because I don't want to.' is perfectly acceptable." Oh yea. Duh. I don't want to.

So here is where we are at.

1. We don't want to live in a trailer. For many reasons, but most importantly because we don't want to.
2. Ryan is making choices about where he sleeps. [he works at night and sleeps during the day. This is a point to consider since there will be THREE LOUD NOISY CHILDREN running around while he's sleeping... during the day.] He is an adult, and as an adult he will decide his priorities and where he'd like to trade-off sleeping conditions vs living in a Tiny House. No decisions have been made yet, but when we do make the decision, it will be purposeful and thoughtout. I don't do much without purpose.

Sometimes I fear others' well meaning advice; but only because I care about other people. I don't want people to worry over us unnecessarily. I don't want people to worry that our kids will be damaged because of this for some weird reason. I take criticism to heart and sift through it to make sure there isn't any truth in it that needs to modify my behavior. I would argue that living a small, purposeful life without a lot of things for a few years would probably do most American kids some good. Teaching kids that it is normal to live within your means, that reaching your dreams doesn't come without some work... those are the lessons that I'm excited to be open with our kids about. Our only debt is our mortgage. I believe we will still have a mortgage eventually, but doing everything we can to pay it off as fast as we can without me having to go back to work? That's going to take some elbow grease. I want my kids to understand that you can't just declare your dreams and then sit passively waiting for someone else to make it happen. I believe in this. It is a means to an end.


No comments: