Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sweet Dreams.

What Your Sleep Personality Says About Your Waking Life
How personality, sleep and health are intertwined.
By Maia Szalavitz for MSN Health & Fitness
 
The Dreaming Sleeper

Can you vividly recall your dreams each morning? Your sleep style indicates that you are likely highly creative in your waking life.


"People with an intensely high level of dream recall have something called 'thin borders,'" says James Pagel, M.D., director of the Sleepworks Laboratory in Colorado Springs, Colo. "That means that for them, everything is in shades of gray, there's not whole lot of black or white. They’re not purely Democrats or Republicans; they are not quite asleep or awake; and they define much of their lives in that way."
Such people tend to be odd and quirky—and although most are perfectly normal, they are at higher risk than others for schizophrenia.
This makes me giggle. I'm at my parent's house "camping" with my kids. "Camping" has turned into just spending the night in their spare bedrooms. Dad's homepage is MSN.com and this sleep personality thing was one of those stories that pop up in the slide show. I flipped through it and saw this--which describes my relationship with sleep SO WELL.

When I was at college I had an incredibly vivid dream that my dad cheated on my mom and then tried to kill her when she found out. There was no basis for this dream at all. I knew it was a dream... and therefore not real. The next couple times my dad called, I had a hard time talking to him. R I D I C U L O U S.

I have woken up so mad at Ryan more times than I can count. A few of those times it has taken me hours to reconcile reality with the dream. Sometimes I know it's not real, but I get so lost just thinking about how mad I would be if it ever really happened.

I have woken up so scared that I have sat in my bed, with a gun, alone, cowering and crying. I know it's not real, but I'm so terrified of either falling back asleep and redreaming the same dream or staying awake and having it actually happen. Ryan pretty much assumes that if he gets a call in the middle of the night, odds are I have had a bad dream and am so scared I need to hear a real voice to anchor me to reality.

It's so ridiculous. I laugh at myself... during the daytime.

No comments: