Saturday, May 14, 2011

Buttermilk

Its a rainy day and Daddy is working, so here's the list.

  • (check) Butter--I've figured it out and I was right! The butter I was making was WRONG. This round of butter is smelling just like the store butter (but I think I'm supposed to say a little nicer, because people that do homemade are supposed to be snobby). I could sit and eat a spoonful or two straight, that is how much better it is. Ryan is a genius for showing me a better way. (FOOD PROCESSOR instead of the stand mixer).
  • (check) Buttermilk--1/4 c of buttermilk from making butter added to 4 cups of milk. Shake for a minute, and let it sit in a warm place for 24 hours.
  • (check) Granola--double batch since we eat it like MAD. I've figured out (because I read it somewhere) if you squeeze it real tight it will clump up... and that makes the best snacking granola. Mmmmm
  • (rising) Bread--first homemade bread since before Asher was born. I'm slowly getting back into the saddle since he is slowly creeping up onto 3 months.
  • Reheating leftovers for dinner: Sausage and Spinach Pesto Pasta (from Emily's blog) and the Cottage Pie. (I love serving leftovers. I don't necessarily love eating them.)
I never realized how much I would use buttermilk if I had it.
  • A batch of mini blueberry muffins for Alissa's shower Saturday. (requires 1c of buttermilk)
  • 2 mornings of buttermilk pancakes. (requires 2c of buttermilk)
  • Scones (requires 1c of buttermilk)
  • Chicken marinade (requires 1c of buttermilk)
 I LOVE GETTING MILK FROM THE FARM. I am almost positive that I will never go back to buying supermarket milk... but if it comes down to my kids starving or keeping our milk herd share I promise I will choose my kids. I will keep our share or buy a cow and sell a few shares of it because yes, its good... but it's also FUN. Yea, I said it.

In other news, I cut a door and windows into the HUGE box our deck table came in and the girls are loving their new playhouse. Kids... so darn easy to please.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

I can't remember where I read it, but I read that Ryan made mozzarella cheese... on a scale of 1-10, how difficult would you say that is? Do you have to buy special equipment besides cheesecloth?