Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lard and My Little Fatso

I'm toying with the idea of starting a different blog. A blog of the food journey I'm forcing my family to travel on (and they are going to like it dog-gone-it). Then I remember that none of my recipes are original, my ideas aren't original, blah blah blah. So instead of pretending to be a big foodie, I'll continue to be a little foodie and poach ideas unabashedly from other sites like smitten kitchen, allrecipes, and whatever whole foods recipe site strikes my fancy for the day.

So big news, we had a kid. My little man. That kid was freakin' hurting me and you know what? He jumped out at a whopping nine and a half pounds! No wonder, little punk. I think I had a few issues going on that culminated in the perfect storm of torture for the last couple months, but praise the LORD that is over. And holy moly he's a perfect baby. He rarely cries, and when he does it's simple to figure out what he's crying about.

So many, many things I could type for hours about: How amazing Asher is. How the c-section went. How recovery went, how we're all adjusting, how Ryan and I are doing, etc etc. However all I'm really in the mood to talk about is food. Sorry Asher. Poor third kid.

I am going to render lard tonight in the slow cooker for the first time ever. And I have every expectation that it will STINK. I think I'm going to plug it in on the back porch and cross my fingers that it turns out well.

This is my plan before feeding Asher in a half hour. Cut up chunks in 1/2" pieces. Add pieces and a half of a cup of water to the crock pot. Turn crock pot on to low. Go to bed and feed Asher.

We are officially done cooking with hydrogenated oils in this house. One more step forward.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

So what does it exactly mean that you are going to "render lard"??

Jen said...

"So big news, we had a kid."
You never cease to make me laugh. :) I love this post. It was long overdue, by the way. But like you said - you had a kid. I guess there's some grace there then. ;)