Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What? It's True.

this has been drafted for about a month and a half and I've decided to just post these. So they might all appear on today's date.

Things I'm relearning about my relationship with God through the process of parenting a 2-year-old:

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1
You ever try and yell at a two-year-old to get them to comply? I like to think I'm totally justified in doing it, but I'm not. For some reason I'm still not justified losing my temper after saying PICK UP YOUR TOYS for the thirtieth time. Talking really loud is the equivalent of yelling around here. When I do it, Aayla cries. Then she screams. Then she sits and starts kicking her feet around and screaming louder. Then I get pissed and start screaming even louder. I threaten her with a time-out and then since she is throwing a fit I threaten a spanking. (usually following through on both). I like to think that its just her disobedient heart that is coming into play but its not; it's mine too. Take the same situation and redo it. When I purpose in my heart (Daniel 1:8) to put off the harsh words and put on the gentle words I get a quicker response, a happier response, and a little heart that says, "does it make God so happy when I obey?" Is my goal to have an obedient kid? It most certainly is a goal, but it shouldn't be my first priority. My first priority should be laying these building blocks so that some day she may come to know the Lord as her personal Savior without the baggage of trying to please men (Prov 29:25). Obedience will come if my motives are correct.

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.

No comments: