Thursday, September 2, 2010

You See Me Rollin'

Hearts heal. That's good. We're on the right track again. That's even better. One foot in front of the other. Step, step, step in obedience. Memorizing scripture to help correct our paths daily instead of waiting until we've gone off the road... and ya know, off the side of a cliff... and over a couple trees... and sinking in the water. We'll be fine, folks. Nothin' to see here. We be rollin' again.

To bad my house and garden chores were bleeding and gasping for air during the process. Nothin' like inviting your mother-in-law over to stay for a week to give ya a little hup, hup and get things moving a little faster. Especially when she volunteers to (I think happily?) wash a MOUNTAIN of laundry. No lie. I think I did about seven loads before she got here and I'm pretty sure the pile was up to my chest and about 3 feet square at the base. She said she wanted to and she said she didn't mind... I decided that if she meant it GREAT. If she didn't mean it, then it'd be a good lesson that she shouldn't offer. Just kidding. She is such a big help and I really feel like the week she was here was my very own vacation. Lowest maintenance house guest ever.

The garden is basically toast, but eh, it's okay. Ryan didn't see anything still growing so he gave the chicken free reign to the garden. Darn those chickens. Going to have to dig up the carrots and pretend its a game of hide and seek.

So we are going to attempt root-cellaring without a root cellar. Ryan made a mesh bag for the onions. He's making a big crate for potatoes, which have to be dug up on Saturday (since I already pulled off the dead vines). We've secured a box for carrots and I need to go get a $5 bag of sawdust from the feed mill (that my MIL hunted down for us). Mom helped me can 7 quarts of peaches while she was here and I went crazy and did another NINETEEN. I was intending to do 14, but we got a few extra jars out of this batch because I was more successful at keeping Aayla out of them while they were softening up. Planning on picking up some Gala apples to pair with my Paula Reds (which, were discovered/named in my hometown of Sparta, MI) for applesauce. I don't know how much it'll make but its a whole bushel all together. We'll see how it goes.

Little by little we're getting back on track. It's getting easier to concentrate on other things than just survival. God is so good, isn't He? Trials are so much easier to bear when you can lean on Him and trust that He will take care of your needs... maybe not necessarily your wants (all the time)... but most certainly your needs.

1 comment: