Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pass Me the Ribeye, Please. Medium Rare.

I'm reading through Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma. I recommend it, obviously, but I'd like to comment on a part of it. It's given me a lot to think about (shocking, huh?). The book follows three different types of eating; industrial, organic (which splits into industrial organic and "beyond organic" or pastoral), and hunter/gatherer type eating.

Right now I'm at a spot where Pollan (who is for meat-eating) is discussing the arguments both for and against eating meat. This is not a discussion that I feel the need to be a part of. God said I could eat meat. Post-Fall, yes, but even so He said that meat was now fair game. Murder was post-fall too but it was also condemned as a sin. Meat was never put in the category of sin, therefore I don't feel the need to even question it. I do however question what meat to eat.

Another reason I would never become a vegetarian, as quoted from Pollan's book pg 314;

"Other people now have to accommodate me, and I find this uncomfortable: My new dietary restrictions throw a big wrench into the basic host-guest relationship. As a guest, if I neglect to tell my host in advance that I don't eat meat, she feels bad, and if I do tell her, she'll make something special for me, in which case, I'll feel bad. On this matter I'm inclined to agree with the French, who gaze upon any personal dietary prohibition as bad manners."
I get why vegetarians have to ask for special dishes. You can't declare yourself a vegetarian but eat meat sometimes. I also never thought about the fact that when you give up meat and you sneak it just once you most likely will get sick. Its a commitment. I just couldn't ever ask that of everyone around me. Its awkward sometimes and I'm pretty sure that my vegetarian sister would agree.

That mentality isn't just for vegetarians, either. I've asked to be accommodated for too long as a picky eater. Being a picky eater is just plain rude and our society doesn't look at the two eating exceptions (vegetarian and picky eating) the same nor should they. I'm getting better. Some things I still can't stomach? Shrimp with feet still attached, sushi, raw meat of any kind, tuna, lobster/crab and coleslaw. However if any of them are served (by anyone other than my mother) and I can not politely decline, I will do my very best to gulp it down as fast as possible. For some strange reason I still feel entitled to turn up my nose at it if my mother cooks it. I should really quit that.

Speaking of picky eaters, we are on hour 3 of DINNER BATTLE WITH AAYLA. Multiple twenty minute segments of "eat your food before the red runs out" (the red on her visual clock) that has ended in a timeout, timeout, no millenium park, no Grandma's house, no ice cream store, spank, spank, and timeout in bed. She just fell asleep in bed while waiting for the next round of twenty minutes to eat her food. At 8:30 she goes to bed no matter what. If she is still battling, she will go to bed hungry and we'll have shrimp (without feet), pasta & veggies for breakfast... or at least she will. I liked mine and gobbled it down. I'm such a mean mom.

Maybe tomorrow I will update on picking up our first CSA box yesteray and how completely awesome the whole experience was. I feel very confident that this was the best decision for us at this time. And... I met the craziest, freakiest turkey that made me want to run away and yet pet him at the same time. I also found a grass-fed (cow? beef?) quarter that sells for a whole $1.50 cheaper than I have found elsewhere. Bonus is that the farmer is my friend's grandpa.

No comments: