Monday, May 10, 2010

State of the Garden Address: May 10

Well, the chickens got out sometime yesterday afternoon into the garden. I was very upset. The transgression combined with some fluctuating hormones, which I'm sure is due to the end of breastfeeding caused me to start crying. I told Ryan (with flailing arms) how all of the hardwork I had done was now undone. The four cucumbers were completely devoured and some of the dirt around the beans was all scratched up which of course means the bean seed is now scattered who knows where. I told Ryan I was going to look into recipes for chicken stew. He gave me a long, comforting hug and told me the chickens said they were sorry and gave us two eggs as a peace offering. This made me laugh--really, really hard. It also restored some perspective and an ended the crazy that had emerged. ::Sigh:: So I will be buying some cucumber starts from the garden store for $1 a piece and forgiving those darn chickens.

The asparagus has sent up some leggy little shoots. I think they are one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen and considered writing them a love song. This also might be due to some post-breastfeeding hormones... or all the hard work that went into getting them there and the promise of what is to come.

My mom and aunt are coming over tonight after Ryan leaves for work and we're going to the garden store. I have committed to only buying 4 cucumber starts and 3 hanging flower baskets (with our own flowers to combine in them) that will be hung from our deck pergola to make peace with Judy, our neighbor.

Our yard and garden bring me so much peace... unless I'm really ticked at the chickens.

No comments: