Monday, May 24, 2010

Love your Neighbor as Yourself.

So apparently we're on the slippery slope as far as our neighbors are concerned. I'm getting the vibe that all of our gardening, clothes drying, and general kids toys in the yard aren't exactly what they appreciate. Nothing said, they are way too nice for that, but just a feeling... I've made a more concentrated effort to make sure that our odds and ends are tucked nicely back in their respective homes when they are not in use. Believe it or not, that is rather hard to do because the time it takes to get things out is just about all the time I get in one stretch. By the time I start working... someone needs their nose or bottom wiped, a push on the swing, or food in their mouths. I have been hanging dry our laundry but if it doesn't come down at night... or even the next day... I don't lose sleep over it. It'll get done. However, I can see how that would be annoying so I will try to think through when I start a load a little better. If I start a load in the middle of the day, it might not be dry by sunset... which means it'll have to hang there until it drys out the next day. I can't control if it dries, but I can control when it gets washed.

For the sake of harmony, I can try a little harder. A little give, a little take and we can all be happy. Neighbors are a foreign concept to me. Our closest neighbors growing up were a little less than a 1/4 mile away. They were family. We didn't really have to say hi or care what they liked or didn't like.

I bought three flower baskets so they would have something nice to look at instead of our big empty deck that we haven't filled with furniture yet. I'd say we can't afford it, but that's a lie. Its just not a priority right now. The flower baskets I did in TRUE Nancy style. I bought nice ones that are set in the black iron basket that I'm pretty sure will last us a few years. Next year I plan to start some flowers with our vegetables and then plant my own basket. Aw yea. I may have spent the $45 for them this year... but next year I plan to spend pennies. I planted a rather large stretch of the garden with perennial flower (seeds) so they wouldn't just have our vegetables and chickens to look at.

I am so completely against the "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality. We purposely chose not to buy a house in a subdivision because it would be too hard to keep away from that. Please don't put words in my mouth and think that I believe anyone living in a subdivision is materialistic. No. I would struggle with it. I don't want to live my life like that. However, keeping your place tidy is a common courtesy. No, they have no right to say what you can or cannot do with your property. Its none of their business what goes on in my yard. But really? Love your neighbor as yourself. Its not about us.

No comments: