Friday, February 12, 2010

Don't believe everything you read... except this.

The only thing I read ahead of time about tonsillectomy recovery that is proving to be true is that its hard to sleep. It's also possibly true that I'm enduring the early "not so bad" days and it will get worse. I'm religiously taking the narcotics and I'm drinking as much water as I can... and chewing gum to avoid the theoretical ear pain. I've been able to eat a lot which "they say" will help me feel better. However, when its time to sleep I sleep for about a half hour and then feel like my throat is closing off, so it jerks me awake and I start doing everything in my power to keep myself from coughing. Good thing I don't have to get up with the kids in the morning. Its so much different than I thought it would be. Apparently during the recovery I didn't sing to the nurses. However, I was told that I repeatedly told the nurses that I was a horrible singer and that I really hoped I didn't start singing. Over. and over. and over again. I also must have kept asking if Ryan could come back a million times. I started coming to and heard myself saying, "Can I see Ryan yet? He's like my best friend. Ever. Can I see Ryan yet? I really want to see him. Can he come lay with me? Can I see Ryan yet." Then I realized what I was doing and tried to stop myself. No luck. Sorry all you nurses.

Was told that I only needed to dump the milk right after the surgery and can save all the rest of my milk. So... on to starting to beef up my freezer supply again. I've got a good chance of staying off formula I think. That's good news. Formula costs 3 arms and leg.

The scabs I've read so much about are completely different from what I thought they'd be. It actually just feels like a piece of grainy gum is spread out in the back of my throat. I feel it but its not... scabby. Yet? We'll see. The sore throat to be honest (while on Hydrocodone) isn't any worse than the sore throat I've had for the last few weeks, or more accurately, the last few months. I'm sure it'd be a whole heck of a lot worse if I didn't have the meds. I won't be testing that theory any time soon.

I miss my kids and this is only the second night apart from them. Apparently Ace had a hard time last night. Aayla is spending the night at Mema's house and getting brought back to Bree's on Mom's way to work. That will give Bree a better shot at getting some sleep at night. Also... Ameira is trying to drop a night feeding as of three nights ago. Too bad she interprets anything after 5pm as night. She is trying to eat her last meal around 3 or 4 pm and then eat again around 2 or 3 am. If you attempt to feed her she just sobs/screams inconsolably because she wants to be asleep. Hopefully Bree can nip that in the bud and get some sleep for herself. If I feel better early next week I'm thinking about taking her back. An infant is so much easier to keep up with than a 2-year-old. My theory is if instead of feeding her 6 oz or whatever at 3am, "we" feed her 2 oz and then rock her back down, she will start to shift her hunger toward evening instead of early, early morning. Fingers crossed, Hands folded.

No comments: