Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Community

So, I've been feeling rather lonely during the days while Ryan is sleeping and half the nights while he is working. We had a small get together at our house the other night with a few other newish parents (children under two is still newish right?) and a girl brought up how (another friend pointed out that...) Stay-At-Home-Moms are lacking community, that's why it isn't what it used to be.

I agree and I disagree. I agree because I want to and I like community. I disagree probably because I'm not completley certain what past time frame she is referencing as the good 'ol days. I mean, yes women in the workplace is sort of a new-ish trend in the last century, but its not like the women in the days of yore really had time for anything other than making sure that MOST of their kids didn't die and getting food on the table. Lets face it, getting food on the table meant a whole lot more than heading to the local Meijer (insert local big super-grocery-center chain name here) and going to ALL the work of removing the plastic packing and popping it into the microwave. And... community? These people made an entire day out of church once a week because they Loved God and because they never got to see anyone while they are tucked back in the sticks on their little farms. We get community on Sundays at church too, so that can't be the amount of community she was talking about. I guess I could ask her, but its not the point and its too much work. I've just been thinking about it a lot since she said it. So, I'm happy with settling with the knowledge that maybe she is thinking of a different time frame. Either way, I'm happy with infusing my small everydays with a little people time. I'm never one to turn down a party.

My cure for more community does not lie with going to church more often. I love church, but quite frankly, I think we are fully capable of meeting our needs without adding in another program. That might sound sassy but I don't want to be required to make the 45 minute drive there more than once a week. I'm still struggling with knowing whether to stay at the church because of its awesomeness or find a new, hopefully equally awesome church thats closer. Dilemma that I won't go into right now.

My cure is starting a play group with the same ladies. We're going to do it bi-weekly for those of us with Police Officer husbands on an every other week schedule. We're also only going to do it for one rotation through, so 4 weeks, since were rotating the hostessing thing. We'll see how it goes. :)

No comments: